about the course
What will you learn?
This course on Advanced Substance for Environment Art students will learn the context of material creation by importing textures into Unreal Engine 4. Students will learn the process of setting up Master Shaders, including vertex blends and exposing their own parameters to drive interesting effects for 3D worlds. Students will round up learning how to present and render final materials and textured assets in interesting and striking ways. Inside Designer and Unreal Engine 4, students will be taught how to create believable realistic materials for all aspects of environment art. Students will start the course by creating a complex organic material for blending in the later weeks.
In the second week, students will learn how to do vertex blending, which is a technique used commonly in game production to interpolate between materials on larger surfaces. Students will learn how to create complex Master Shaders, which feed directly into environments and can be used across multiple projects. This advanced course will be rounded up by delving into blending multiple designer graphs directly inside of substance. Tackling new material and completing the course, a new final blend incorporating everything the students have learned across the three weeks. In the end, students will render the final output in Marmoset to create professional portfolio images.
In this week, students will:
- Create a reference pack for our material.
- Create all aspects of the organic material including; height, normal, roughness, and diffuse.
The homework assignment will be to recreate your own version from the tutorial or choose your own material to create from scratch.
In this week, students will;
- Start with an introduction to Unreal Engine 4, correctly exporting and packing texture channels from designer and creating vertex blend shaders
- Learn how to build master materials and tweak the parameters for a project use case
- Polish and refine the results until achieving a great shader
- Utilize the materials students have already created to get great-looking results.
The homework will be to recreate your own shaders.
In this week, students will:
- Start by sourcing reference
- Create another transition material and revisit their previous designer file to expose parameters
- Demonstrate the variations created from one material showing the power of Substance
- Work on the final blend material before rendering the result in Marmoset
The homework will be to create your own final blend material and create compelling final renders.
What do you need to apply?
Payment plans and other types of reimbursement available
start your creative career today
Discover more about
Because you are interested in this course
You might also like…
Do you need help from one of our student counselors?
Book a FREE consultation with one of our friendly Student Enrolment Advisors