be a player in built environment architecture built environment urban design interior design interior decoration interior architecture landscape architecture spatial design styling building design digital architecture
what is built environment?
Built environment, design, and architecture refers to the understanding and application of design and architecture for living spaces, particularly around contemporary built environments.
study at a top college
what is architecture?
Architecture is the science and art of designing buildings, open areas, communities, and other artificial constructions and environments. Architects express an artistic vision through the size, shape, color, materials, and style of a building’s elements. The architect can produce a work of art, but it must also be functional.
- Researches, plans, designs, and administers building projects for clients
- Produces conceptual plans, renderings, and documents.
- Plans and programs layout of project(s)
- Coordinates and integrates engineering elements into unified design for client review and approval.
- Utilizes computer-assisted design SW and equipment to prepare project designs and plans.
- Working with the Project Manager, may direct, supervise, and check activities of workers
- Works in tandem with highly collaborative multi-discipline design teams.
what is building design?
Building design is the process of taking a client’s requirements for a new building or changes to an existing building and translating them into an agreed design that a contractor is then able to construct. All building projects require the services of a building designer, typically a licensed architect.
- Meeting with clients to take and understand the brief in detail
- Designing and interpreting plans
- Undertaking feasibility studies
- Researching and analyzing council codes, codes of practice, and industry regulations
- Coordinating submissions to council
what is digital architecture?
Digital architecture has been used to refer to other aspects of architecture that feature digital technologies and disciplines such as architectural visualization, advanced construction, and building automation.
- Creating the vision for a company’s digital transformation and the infrastructure required
- Meeting with department heads to discuss their needs and responsibilities after implementing changes
- Envisioning the user experience for those interacting with digital infrastructure
- Planning digital framework structures to provide optimal performance to users
- Taking a leadership position on the execution of new digital infrastructure projects
- Monitoring progress on digital infrastructure projects
what is interior decoration?
Interior decorating is the furnishing or adorning of a space with decorative elements to achieve a certain aesthetic. Interior designers may decorate, but decorators do not design. They may decorate new spaces, re-decorate existing ones, or decorate for special events such as weddings. Many interior decorators specialize in residential interiors.
- Applying paint, stains, varnishes, and other finishes.
- Using brushes, rollers, or spraying equipment.
- Applying primers and undercoats, or varnishes and glazes.
- Calculating the materials needed for a project.
what is interior design?
Interior design is the art of enhancing the interior space of a building to achieve a healthier and aesthetically pleasing environment for the people who use the property.
An interior designer plans, researches, coordinates and manages projects that create interior environments inside buildings.
what is spatial design?
Spatial design is a discipline of conceptual design. Spatial designers study how people move and interact in spaces and design ways to improve them. Spatial design is a relatively new field.
- Spatial Designer
- Interior Designer
what is staging?
Staging is the process of selecting, designing, adapting to or modifying the performance space for a play or film. The first thing that the audience of a play sees is the stage set, the physical objects that suggest the world of the play. Besides costume, any physical object that appears in a play has the potential to become an important dramatic symbol.
The role of a TV/Film/Theatre set and stage designer includes:
- reading scripts
- producing plans, drawings, and models of sets
- preparing estimates of set costs
- managing budgets
- viewing possible outside broadcast sites
- attending rehearsals/films takes
- meeting with and commissioning set construction companies
what is styling?
An architectural style is a set of characteristics and features that make a building or other structure notable or historically identifiable. Styling is about achieving a certain look to convey the brand image. It can include a stylistic theme wall art, artwork, and decor items which pieced together unfold a compelling story around which a place (home, hotel, restaurant, etc) has been created.
Stylist tasks include fabrics, textures and colour choices all the way up to furniture suggestions.
what is urban design?
Urban design is the visual and sensory relationship between people and the built and natural environment. The urban design includes the process of designing and shaping the physical features of cities, towns, and villages and planning for the provision of municipal services to residents and visitors.
- Working on ‘visions’ for places
- Designing built spaces from an individual street or square to neighbourhoods or even whole towns
- Providing advice on the design of developments
- Undertaking research into people and places to help inform decision making
- Developing built environment guidance and policies
- Undertaking community consultation
Preparing technical drawings and designs
- Preparing urban design strategies